Our History and Tradition
Founded in 1890, St. Michael’s School and Nursery is Delaware’s oldest early childhood program and one of the oldest in the nation. It was originally part of St. Michael’s Episcopal Mission near Front and Adams Street on Wilmington’s west side. We offered shelter with safety, comfort and life lessons to children whose working parents had limited choices. In its early days, St. Michael’s also operated a hospital for babies and was the only place in the city were families of color could receive medical attention. We also offered shelter to homeless and abandoned children as well as facilitated adoptions. Full-day kindergarten was added to the school in 1908.
Today, 126 years after its founding, St. Michael’s has evolved from being primarily a childcare agency to a premier school for early childhood education in Wilmington for newborns through kindergarten. It is a caring and stimulating environment designed for the way young children grow and learn.
Although much has changed during the school’s long history of service to Wilmington and the surrounding neighborhoods, providing access to high quality, affordable childcare and early education for young children of working parents remains the school’s core mission.